Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Down & out in a Florida Autumn...

...which is well under way into what is normally the most productive, super-fun, event-filled season on my art calendar has been brought to a screeching halt. The right hand cast came off yesterday, and I'm now in the countdown for carpal tunnel surgery on my left for Dec. 3rd. Yes, both hands, and while there's never a good time for something like this, I know this came not a moment too soon. At least one finger had gone numb round the clock byAugust and I was starting to lose my grip strength.














The surgery went well and I started part of my prescribed physical therapy the same night. Since then, five minutes on the hour every hour I'm awake, with more exercises assigned yesterday. For the first time in two years I think my right hand's going to be ok, and no permanent damage done.

On the other hand(!), I've never been all that great with enforced down time but I'm putting it to good use, catching up with reading, a Rosetta Stone German refresher and movies. Even though I can't draw, carve, drive or even type well for the time being, I expect to be back in the saddle, making art, by the first of the year. In the meantime, I have two prints in the 3rd Annual Juried Exhibition at the Florida Museum of Women Artists, opening this Friday on November 16th. And I have an Honorable Mention in the current (December 2012) issue of The Artist's Magazine on page 46, for my multiple block print "Permission To Come Ashore?"

More info on my website, Studio Ibis.















1 comment: