Thursday, March 4, 2010

Thinking about gouache and egg tempera again.

I did the piece below in a DFAC egg-tempera workshop two years ago taught by Gainor E. Roberts. (An excellent instructor, by the way.) Thinking of doing some more opaque watercolor along those lines with acrylic underneath and colored pencil on top. I'd like to have something ready for CPSA's "Explore This!" online show next fall. (This painting is 3.5" x 5.5" on a gessoed panel.)

But I do miss those gorgeous ground pigments in doing traditional egg tempera on panel; might have to find some pigments and do some tiny ones for next year's Miniature Art Society of Florida's annual international show here in the Tampa Bay Area.

As long as I'm losing my mind and my sight noodling around on the eXtreme! close work of copper plate etching, go all out, eh? ;-)

Besides, I already have to wear the nerd, lighted magnification head-set and I'm not even 50 yet. In for a penny, in for a pound, I say...

2 comments:

  1. That is just amazing!!! I am trying to find a good class on watercolors locally, but having little luck.

    That, however is simply breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear MM - I'm so sorry I didn't see this comment pop up last month, but just wanted to thank you for the compliment. Egg tempera is an opaque watercolor - very different from regular w/c, but as I found out, surprisingly NON-similar to gouache! I figured, you know, they're both opaque w/c so...? But I found it a LOT easier to work with the egg tempera as far as blending goes and the finished surface is a wonderful, glowing satin-gloss. Gorgeous stuff. A bit of work to prepare but it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete