Saturday, March 20, 2010

The new print studio is finished!

Yay!! Finally! Busy today getting hardware, mineral spirits, sawdust for cleaning plates & blocks, etc. today. All the boring but necessary stuff. Am moving the art supplies in, bit-by-bit over the weekend. I need to get my iPod boombox in there too for some music and audio books while scribing, carving and printing. Absolutely out of range of wifi, cell phone and other distractions, and that's just how I want it.

I have a vertical tank that you can see on the floor next to the sink, but I'll be concentrating on block printing in there at first before I bring in the ferric chloride. I'll be able to mix colors & print multiple blocks with no time constraints. (Come to think of it, I need to get a sheet of birch plywood and make a chase. *Puts it on my list*.) By the time the art center shuts down its printmaking program for the summer in May, I'll be up and running to prepare plates for etching so I won't have the usual three months of down time anymore.

3 comments:

  1. Get to work! Clifton Day is 10/10/10. Should I send you an application?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's Clifton Day?? (She asks innocently...) A-ha! Must be the local art show in what is apparently the coolest burb east of the Mississippi!

    I've got two show applications in right now and hope that I jury into the Roycrofter's Artisan status this Saturday on the 10th.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Holly,

    Jim, a friend of mine talked to you at the Dunedin Art Walk recently and thought I should meet you or be aware of you. I must agree as I'm very impressed with your work. My name is Mike (aka Carolina MIke) I'm a Safety Harbor block print artist as well. I started a line of adventure shirts based on my block prints and 13 yrs experience as a kayak and adventure guide. www.wetdogwear.com I currently produce my prints by hand burnishing with a wooden spoon. I see that you have a press. I'm so jealous. Can I ask if you rent out the press? It takes so much time to do the hand burnishings. To help start the t-shirt line I sold over 150 prints in a Kickstarter campaign. It took me forever. Also have questions about the multi color prints and your very cool HB signature print. GREAT STUFF all around Holly. Look forward to meeting and keep on blocking. - Carolina Mike

    ReplyDelete