Friday, December 18, 2009

Guilty as charged.

Gilmoure recently mentioned the Space Whale trope in his Tumblir blog, as noted on TV Tropes. (Heaven help the budding television (or comic or anime) writer, trying to avoid the land mines here.)

Anyway, as noted in the entry:
"Somehow, at some point (probably in the 1970s), the ideas of space and whales became permanently interwoven in the collective unconscious. Why? No one really knows, but here is some wild speculation:"
I'll own up to my own contribution to this; I give you my vintage Space Whale, done at the age of 17 in my freshman year at the University of Florida, c. 1978. (11" x 17"; done originally in "0" Rapidograph on Strathmore 3-ply bristol, as I recall, though this is a scan of a xerox of a stat.) For the record, no drugs were involved. TV Tropes implies there should be.

Yes, my professors absolutely hated this one.


1 comment:

  1. Heh. One of my illustrator roommates in college did a cool one of killer whales swimming among the sky scrapers of Chicago. I wonder what happened to him.

    ReplyDelete