Thursday, December 10, 2009

"Catboat" is progressing.

I pulled three of these prints on Tuesday morning. "Catboat" is a three-color linoleum block print, printed in oil-based inks on the DFAC press on white Rives BFK paper. The companion piece shown is last year's "Melonseed Skiff", also a three-color block print. (My sailboat, Goshawk, is a 14' Crawford Melonseed skiff and I had a little Cape Cod catboat when I was a kid, so these are near and dear to my heart.) These are done in a period Arts & Crafts style; nautical themes generally aren't done in new A&C art as opposed to the usual gingko leaves and pine cones. I'm going to troll these around some A&C venues to see if there's any interest.

I'm not entirely happy with the ink application however; I'll pull the edition with a lot more extender in the ink to increase transparency and luminosity in the water and also close to the horizon in the sky. I also think I'll cave in and carve out a little more of that cloud on the bottom right to eliminate a strong diagonal that emerged with the contrasting background. But I'm generally happy with how it's coming along.




3 comments:

  1. I believe I have a photo of us in the sweet little catboat. We were sailing the waters of Fort Lauderdale. Didn't we sail through Port Everglades?
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle!! I would love to get a scan if you have a photo of us sailing around in "Grimalkin" someday! I have nothing from Ft. Lauderdale. I did make a copper plate etching of "Grimalkin" w/a "Wind in the Willows" quote a couple of years ago - it's hanging in a local show right now. I'll show you a jpeg of that one.

    Yeah, can you believe we used to sail around Port Everglades and the turning basin in a little 14' cat? Around submarines? The "Cunard Princess"?? Asking passing boats for a tow under the 17th St. Causeway bridge when the tide was against me? I've sailed out of there on several charters to the Bahamas and back since then and wow, I must have been nuts!

    Yeah. Good times. :-)

    I think that boat saved my life in high school until dad sold it to pay his income taxes. I didn't sail again even once for almost ten years and I haven't stopped since.

    ReplyDelete